Tuesday, April 6, 2010

To Have A Servants Heart

In John 13: 1-17  we learn a good lesson in humility and to have a servants heart.  When Jesus can go around and wash his disciples feet it really teaches us a few things.  The example that He laid down for us is pretty amazing.   He is teaching a level of leadership that can be really challenging for most of us.  Our human side tells us that this is not the proper protocol of a leader of a kingdom, company, organization, or a church.  But Jesus is telling us otherwise.

Tonight we played out the Gospel story.  Matty was the narrator, Rob played Peter, and Jjaja Jim played Jesus.  So as Matty began reading the scripture I went with a basin and a pitcher of water and a towel as Jesus showed us, to each of our children and proceeded to wash their feet.  When I came to Rob, he read Peter's part; "Lord are you going to wash my feet?"  7Jesus said; "You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand."  Then we continued through the scripture 8-12.  I completed the washing of our children's feet / After the completion of washing the disciple's feet Jesus said:  13"You call me teacher and the Lord and rightly so, for that is what I am.  14 Now that I Lord and teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. 15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you."


Then the children proceeded to wash each others feet as it says in the scripture;  16  "I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.  17 Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them."


It was just on Saturday that I was talking to the kids about having a servant's heart.  We should have a good attitude about helping one and other and offer to do something that you see needs doing.  We find that all of of life's lessons can be found in the Bible.  Hopefully this will be one of those Bible stories that will stick with them for the rest of their life!
.

No comments: